Substance Abuse Advisory Board Public Meetings
Date: 3rd Tuesday of each month*
Time: 5:00 - 7:00pm
Location: Center for Community Health, 1601 East Fourth Plain Blvd. Vancouver, WA 98661.
The Board of Clark County Commissioners (BOCC) is recruiting members to serve on the Clark County Substance Abuse Advisory Board (SAAB). The Substance Abuse Advisory Board reviews services, plans, and budgets for publicly funded substance abuse programs in Clark County and makes recommendations to the Board of Clark County Commissioners regarding program needs and priorities. Individuals in recovery, members from diversity population, and those representing geographic areas of the county are encouraged to apply. A working knowledge of or interest in issues related to alcoholism, drug addiction, substance abuse and violence prevention are recommended.
Roles and responsibilities
- Serving in an advisory capacity to the Board of Clark County Commissioners and staff on issues relating to alcohol and drug abuse.
- Provide oversight through the Department of Community Services Alcohol & Drug Program by review of information, reports, and monitoring provided by the Alcohol & Drug Program staff. This function is designed to allow the advisory board the ability to review contracted services provided for treatment, prevention, outreach, education, and recovery services.
- Assistance to staff in developing, updating, and implementing the county needs assessment and plan for alcohol and drug programs, which will make our services more effective, responsive, and accountable to the community it serves.
- Community and legislative advocacy for the development and promotion of positive alternatives to substance abuse or addiction to alcohol, and other drugs.
- The Substance Abuse Advisory Board has regular meetings once a month on the third Tuesday of each month at the Center for Community Health from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Additional meetings are scheduled accordingly.
This is an opportunity for interested community members to give input on policy decisions related to publicly funded alcohol and drug prevention, intervention, and treatment services. Positions are voluntary and no member may be a provider of alcoholism and other drug addiction treatment services. Interested individuals should submit a resume and cover letter to the Board of Clark County Commissioners expressing interest in be considered for appointment to this Board.
Clark County Board of Commissioners (BOCC)
PO Box 5000
Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
Attention: Jennifer Clark
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact DeDe Sieler at 397-2075 x7823 or Cyndi Smith at 397-2075 x7835.
MODEL FOR COVER LETTER AND RESUME
TO THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
The Cover Letter
City, State, Zip Code
Attn: Jennifer Clark
Board of Commissioners
PO Box 5000
Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
Dear Ms. Clark:
- Indicate the position you are applying for, an example; a member of the SAAB.
- Express your interest in the position and why you are applying.
- Provide one or two items of experience, keep it brief.
- Mention that your resume is enclosed.
- Provide contact phone numbers pagers, and / or e-mail address.
- Indicate Ethnicity/Race
Your name typed
Enclosure: Cover Letter
Your resume should be neat, specific, and accurate. The length should be limited to one, and not more than two pages.
Emphasize strengths and skills you believe you can bring to this position.
Provide up to a 10-year work history. This can include regular employment, and/or volunteer activity.
Provide your educational background. Include any courses, seminars, training, etc. that are directly applicable to service on the Substance Abuse Advisory Board.
Provide any civic responsibilities, and/or affiliations.
Provide two community references.