The Master Composter/Recycler Program is funded by Clark County Solid Waste Program and administered by Columbia Springs. The program is located at 12602 SE Evergreen Highway SE Evergreen Highway in Vancouver, WA. For further information call (360) 882-0936 ext 224 or visit the Master Composter/Recycler website.
The Master Composter/Recycler Program educates the community on backyard composting and other organic waste diversion methods and waste reduction, recycling. Trained volunteers do this education through Backyard Composting workshops, composting how-to information, low-cost Community Wormshops, composting demonstration sites, teacher worm bin workshops and speakers for neighborhood or community groups. The program also offers composting books to purchase, and a reduced price compost bin.
The objectives of the program are:
- To reduce the amount of organic waste and recyclable materials being disposed of in landfills to meet the state mandated recycling goals.
- To educate the public that recyclable materials and organic debris are an asset rather than a problem and illustrate the ease and benefits of composting and recycling through a variety of techniques.
- To answer citizens' questions on composting and recycling methods and provide them with educational materials.
- To provide the opportunity for personal and professional growth of individuals volunteering for the program.
- To "close the loop" by providing information on waste reduction at the source - your home.
The training consists of 40 hours of in-depth training on the biology of composting, composting methods, troubleshooting, biology and fundamentals of home worm composting, kitchen scrap composting, volunteer outreach methods, waste reduction, water quality and conservation, compost use, recycling and general solid waste issues, and precycling.
For more information or to join the Master Composter/Recycler program, visit Columbia Springs or call (360) 882-0936 ext. 224.